Product Catalog To History A-L
- Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles - by Richard Dowden
- Against the Wall: Israel's Barrier to Peace - Voices from Israel and the occupied territories, as well as around the world, explore the intersection of architecture and politics
- Al Qaeda Reader - Westerners from across the political spectrum will be fascinated and enlightened by this volume's insights into the nature of Islamic texts
- The Assassin's Gate: America in Iraq - Recounts how the United States set about changing the history of the Middle East and became ensnared in a guerilla war in Iraq
- China Shakes the World - Kynge probes beyond the familiar statistics to unearth the surprising reasons for Chinas explosive growth.
- China Wakes: The Struggle for the Soul of a Rising Power - An insightful and thought-provoking analysis of daily life in China in the mid-'90s
- Crescent and Star: Turkey Between Two Worlds (Revised) - by Stephen Kinzer
- Eastward to Tartary - A spellbinding journey into the heart of a volatile region, stretching from Hungary and Romania to the far shores of the oil-rich Caspian Sea.
- Europe Adrift - by John Newhouse
- Faith at War - An eye-opening political travelogue that reveals the Muslim world as never before
- The Fall of Baghdad - In channeling a tragedy of epic dimensions through the stories of real people caught up in the whirlwind of history, Anderson has written a book of timeless significance.
- The Fate of Africa: A History of Fifty Years of Independence - by Martin Meredith
- Fire - by Sebastian Junger
- Freedom from Fear: new edition - by Aung San Suu Kyi
- Geopolitics of Emotion - Offers a better understanding of the world we live in and perhaps a more peaceful solution to the ignorance and differences that plague us
- Gomorrah - Chronicles the decline of Naples under the rule of the Camorra
- Hope in Hell: Inside the World of Doctors Without Borders - Gripping accounts of medical workers who volunteer to serve in some of the world's most dangerous hotspots.
- How They See Us: Meditations on America - edited by James Atlas
- Imperial Grunts: The American Military on the Ground - Explores how American imperialism is pursued and how the global war on terrorism is fought worldwide by America's elite military forces.
- Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone - Examines the numerous self-inflicted pitfalls, miscalculations, and blunders that had plagued the first year of the American occupation of Iraq.
- In Exile from the Land of Snows: The Dalai Lama and Tibet Since the Chinese Conquest - by John Avedon
- In Spite of the Gods: The Rise of Modern India - An enlightening study of the forces shaping India as it tries to balance the stubborn traditions of the past with a modernizing present
- In the Land of Magic Soldiers: A Story of White and Black in West Africa - An unforgettable work of literary reportage.
- In the Shadow of No Towers - In his first new book of comics since the groundbreaking Maus, Art Spiegelman offers a deeply personal, politically charged, graphically and emotionally stunning account of the events and aftermath of September 11, 2001.
- Invisible Nation: How the Kurds Quest for Statehood Is Shaping Iraq - by Quil Lawrence
- Jihad: The Trail of Political Islam - An in-depth account of the history, geography, and present implications of this political-religious phenomenon.
- Just Seconds from the Ocean: Coastal Living in the Wake of Katrina - An accessible analysis of the dangers of living close to the ocean in an era of global warming and megahurricanes
- Kabul in Winter: Life Without Peace in Afghanistan - A sharp and arresting people's-eye view of real life in Afghanistan after the Taliban
- The Lion's Grave: Dispatches from Afghanistan - An unprecedented look into the forces that shape the Afghan conflict and the players who may threaten Afghanistan's future.
- Longitudes and Attitudes: The World in the Age of Terrorism - As the Foreign Affairs columnist for the "New York Times, " Friedman is in a unique position to interpret the world for American readers. This new book contains Friedman's columns about the most momentous news story of our time, as well as a diary of his experiences and reactions during this period of crisis.
- Looking for History: Dispatches from Latin America - by Alma Guillermoprieto
- Love and War in Afghanistan - The voices of 15 Afghani men and women tell their true stories of living in northern Afghanistan amidst foreign invasions, warlord faction fighting, and a fundamental regime.
- Mezzaterra: Fragments from the Common Ground - An incisive collection of essays on Arab identity, art, and politics
- Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance - Buruma returns to his native land to explore the murder of Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh by an Islamic extremist.
- Naked in Baghdad - NPR's senior foreign correspondent Anne Garrels explores the sights, sounds, and smells of the recent war in Iraq with unparalleled vividness and immediacy.
- News of a Kidnapping - by Gabriel García Márquez
- Night Draws Near: Iraq's People in the Shadow of America's War - From the only journalist to win a Pulitzer Prize for his reporting from Iraq
- On the Road to Kandahar: Travels Through Conflict in the Islamic World - A daring reporter's quest through the living history of Islam amid the War on Terrorism.
- Oracle Bones : A Journey Through Time in China - A rare portrait, both intimate and epic, of 21st-century China as it opens its doors to the outside world.
- The Other Side of Israel: My Journey Across the Jewish/Arab Divide - Nathan moved from her comfortable home in Tel Aviv to Tamra, an Arab town
- Planet India - A lively exploration of America's stake in India's gambit to transform itself from a developing country to a global powerhouse in record time.
- The Prince of the Marshes And Other Occupational Hazards of a Year in Iraq - The story of Stewart's eleven months in Iraq, negotiating hostage releases, holding elections, and splicing together some semblance of an infrastructure.
- Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan After the Taliban - How the U.S. government and armed forces allowed the tragic return to violent warlordism in Afghanistan following the defeat of the Taliban.
- Reset: Iran, Turkey, and America's Future - A new and surprising vision for rebuilding America's strategic partnerships in the Middle East.
- Shadows and Wind: A View of Modern Vietnam - by Robert Templer
- Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation - A bold explanation of Japan's stagnation and its implications for the rest of the world.
- Surrender or Starve: Travels in Ethiopia, Sudan, Somalia, and Eritrea - by Robert Kaplan
- Taliban: Militant Islam, Oil, and Fundamentalism in Central Asia - by Ahmed Rashid
- Temptations of the West: How to Be Modern in India, Pakistan, Tibet, and Beyond - Mishra sees the pressures of Western-style modernity, prosperity, and globalization on a rapidly changing region.
- The Tenth Parallel - Griswold delivers a riveting investigation of the jagged fault line between the Christian and Muslim worlds.
- Terror in the Name of God: Why Religious Militants Kill - Stern lucidly explains how terrorist organizations are formed by opportunistic leaders who -- using religion as both motivation and justification -- recruit the disenfranchised.
- This Land: The Battle Over Sprawl and the Future of America - The untold story of development in America -- how the landscape is shaped by a furious clash of political, economic and cultural forces.
- Travel As a Political Act - by Rick Steves
- Trouble with Africa: Why Foreign Aid Isn't Working - Long-time World Bank official Robert Calderisi speaks about why the world must now deal differently with Africa
- Unholy Wars: Afghanistan, America and International Terrorism
- War at the Top of the World: The Struggle for Afghanistan, Kashjmir and Tibet - Fascinating and now more timely than ever, War at the Top of the World is an extraordinary read for anyone interested in the current global balance of power.
- What I Believe - by Tariq Ramadan